Why do we take PSATs?

The Delta High School PSAT scores for 8/9th-grade and 10th-grade students. Assessment 1 on the left and Assessment 2 on the right.

Makayla Wear

The Pre-Scholastic Assessment Test is an annual test taken by each student twice a year at Delta High School to measure student progress and areas that need improvement. While students may not enjoy taking these tests, knowing why we take them could be beneficial. 

The quote following was taken directly from the Colorado Department of Education’s website: “The PSAT tests the same skills and knowledge as the SAT in a way that makes sense for 9th and 10th-graders. It builds on the Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS) tests in English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies. The PSAT also aligns with Colorado Academic Standards (CAS) and with the SAT that students will take in 11th grade.”

“Colorado uses a form of an assessment for an accountability measure on schools and how well we are doing based on how well our kids do on the test,” said Principal Derek Carlson. “That’s why we take it, for the state, but then you guys as students have the ability to use those scores to help you with scholarships, and college admissions,” said Carlson. The PSATs are meant to help the state and the students taking the test so they know if they improved or what they need to work on.

“ I think it prepares them for the SATs which will help them get into college,” said Lauren Angelo, a junior at Delta High School. “ It takes time from learning and I could have spent more time learning for the actual SAT, but it was good for the practice though.” 

These tests may help prepare students but also takes time away from their learning.

“When we get these reports back, it shows strength and weakness so our teachers can look and really make sure that we either revisit this or if they haven’t gotten to it, they will cover this at an appropriate level…” said Carlson. 

“I try my best but the scores dont really matter to me,” said Angelo. The tests measure how well you can do on the SAT and what you already know.

“It’s judging your aptitude, and how well you could do on the SAT. It’s giving you a measure of where you stand,” said Carlson. “All schools have to take the PSAT as a measure; everybody gets a score.”

“Don’t come in exhausted. Get a good night’s sleep, eat some breakfast, and do your best,” said Carlson.