The impacts of class registration

Olivia Hines

At the start of every semester, Delta High School counselors are faced with hundreds of schedule changes requested by students. When students sign up for classes they don’t want, they request to change it and the counselors have to go in and change each class by hand. 

At the beginning of each year, it can take up to a month to finish making the schedules, not including changing them. 

“On average, it takes us about four weeks at the end of the school year and another two weeks at the beginning of the school year to get the schedule set,” said Holly Crowder. 

Oftentimes at Delta High, new classes are added at the beginning of semesters, classes can also be taken away when not enough students are joining.

Psychology was added to the elective list at the beginning of semester two of the 2022-2023 school year. Debbie Yeager who teaches health and science classes is teaching the new class.

“I think it’s going great. Learning the pacing that all the students need is important and ensuring they fully understand since it’s a new subject to everyone,” said Yeager.

Crowder said, “New classes are added based on the availability of teachers to teach them, student interest, and teacher interest.  Each teacher has six classes per day, so we have to make sure we have enough sections for them to teach as well as considering the needs of students in the building”. 

Class registration is a stressful time for everyone in the school.